Basket
×

Your basket

Join The FSA

Charlton Athletic owner demands EFL buys club

This is a story from the FSF archive – the FSF and SD merged to become the FSA in 2019.

Charlton Athletic fans say they are “dismayed” by the actions of their owner, who this week demanded that the EFL buy the football club off him.

During a fans’ forum at the Valley on Wednesday Lieven de Turck (owner Roland Duchatelet’s representative) revealed they intend to contact the EFL to propose they purchase Charlton Athletic.

Following the forum, Duchatelet issued a long statement demanding that the league purchase the club – blaming protesting fans, injuries, the EFL and more for their current struggles.

Charlton Athletic Supporters’ Trust today said they were disappointed by the club’s hijacking of the fans’ forum – postponing important dialogue around issues impacting the club – and the unprecedented demands made to the EFL.

“We were asked for our comments at the fans’ forum,” the trust said. “It will come as no surprise this was instantly and unanimously dismissed as presenting a conflict of interest as well as being totally impractical. Nothing more needs to be said.”

Duchatelet has been attempting to sell the club for more than a year without success. The trust argues this proves the Belgian businessman’s expectations are too high. On and off the pitch protests against Duchatelet, led by the Coalition Against Roland Duchatelet (CARD), have been ongoing for a of number years. CARD describe the demands today as “bonkers”.

“There had been much speculation that Duchatelet’s proposal would involve some sort of offer to sell or give the club to supporters,” the trust added.

“Instead, the proposal was one that could not possibly have been predicted.

“Duchatelet’s approach emphatically demonstrates his complete lack of understanding of how football operates. How can someone who thinks this is feasible be allowed to control a football club?”

The trust is due to meet club representatives at a fans’ forum next week and will report the outcome.

An EFL spokesperson told football.london: “The EFL can confirm that we have received a request from Charlton Athletic’s majority shareholder Roland Duchatelet, which we will review and subsequently respond to as appropriate.”

Thanks to PA Images for the image used in this article.

Related Articles

Newcastle fan groups urge owner to sell up in joint letter

A new coalition of Newcastle United supporter groups have written a letter to the club’s owner urging him to sell the club as soon as possible.

Charlton fans fear for club’s future amid EFL investigation

Charlton Athletic fans say they are “once again” readying themselves to save the club, after the EFL announced it would begin investigating its January take-over.

A fight for the whole of football: Blackpool & Charlton fans EFL protest

Last Friday (14th September) Blackpool and Charlton Athletic fans protested outside EFL offices in London and Preston, calling for better standards on governance. Here FSF national game development officer Andy Walsh tells us more about the action…

Charlton fans fear for club’s future

Charlton Athletic fans fear for the future of the club after an extraordinary public dispute developed between the club’s majority shareholder and senior management.

Funding partners

  • The Football Association
  • Premier Leage Fans Fund

Partners

  • Gamble Aware
  • Co-operatives UK
  • FSE
  • Kick It Out
  • Level Playing Field
  • Living Wage Foundation
  • SD Europe