Basket
×

Your basket

Join The FSA

© PA Images

Club furlough reversals show that fan power is still alive and well

Fan groups at Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur have welcomed club decisions to reverse staff furloughs, as executives at both outfits listened to their supporters’ concerns.

Last week both clubs said they would stop using the government’s Coronvarius Job Retention Scheme.

In Spurs’ case, around 550 employees would have received 80% of their salaries up to £2,500 a month, while Liverpool had committed to the 200 staff receiving their full salary with the club making up the remaining 20%.

There was widespread surprise at the announcements, coming on the back of strong financial reports, with both sides having reached the Champions League final in 2019.

FSA affiliates at each club led calls for a reversal with Spirit of Shankly (SOS) saying “our belief is that no million-pound plus profit-making organisation should be relying on tax-payer subsidies in times of crises”.

Tottenham Hotspur Supporters Trust (THST) asked their club for transparency and pointed out the wider reputational damage. “This anger is not exclusive to the Spurs community, but the club’s reputation as a wealthy and well-run business means it is in the spotlight,” said THST.

A change in direction

Following days of lobbying both clubs ultimately reveresed their decisions. In a letter to their fans, Liverpool chief executive Peter Moore said: “We believe we came to the wrong conclusion last week and are truly sorry for that.”

Meanwhile Spurs’ Levy said: “We regret any concern caused during an anxious time and hope the work our supporters will see us doing in the coming weeks, as our stadium takes on a whole new purpose, will make them proud of their club.”

THST said in a statement: “It takes maturity and humility to reverse such a contentious and public decision and we’re pleased that, rather than doubling down, the club’s board has listened to the fans on this occasion and ultimately done the right thing.

“No organisation is going to get everything right in these unprecedented circumstances and the eventual outcome is what matters.

“We’re delighted for the club’s non-playing staff and we thank the club’s directors for finding an alternative way forward. This is the first step, but a big step, in restoring relations between fans and the club.”

Spirit of Shankly said: “[We] welcome the club’s honesty, change in plan and willingness to listen and be involved in productive dialogue with several parties. They have also made assurances that the welfare of their staff is paramount.

“This news is the best possible outcome SOS members and Liverpool supporters could have hoped for. As ever it once again shows unity is strength.”

Related Articles

Huddersfield Town: what role do fans have at a well run club?

As well as the club returning to the top flight of English football for the first time in 45 years, one of Huddersfield Town’s leading fan groups has also enjoyed a renaissance off the pitch, too.

Bristol City fans still “angry and bemused” at club over prices

Bristol City fans met senior club officials last night to discuss the significant season ticket price rises many supporters are facing at Ashton Gate.

Fan engagement: survey shows still room for improvement

Supporter groups across the country say that clubs are meeting their obligations around fan engagement but there remains a handful of clubs where significant improvement is needed – according to the results of a national survey.

Fan engagement: survey shows still room for improvement

Supporter groups across the country say that clubs are meeting their obligations around fan engagement but there remains a handful of clubs where significant improvement is needed – according to the results of a national survey.

Funding partners

  • The Football Association
  • Premier Leage Fans Fund

Partners

  • Gamble Aware
  • Co-operatives UK
  • FSE
  • Kick It Out
  • Level Playing Field
  • Living Wage Foundation
  • SD Europe