Promotion of community-ownership is embedded within our Mission Statement and something that we hold very dear.
But when we talk about supporter/community ownership what do we mean?
- A minimum of 50% +1 of the voting rights of the club to be controlled collectively by a democratic entity which has an open and inclusive membership based on one member, one vote with no substantial barriers to participation as a voting member.
- Profits are reinvested back into the club as opposed to being distributed to shareholders.
- The club is committed to running as a sustainable business.
A club owned by its community has the potential to develop deeper longer term partnerships, particularly local authorities who historically favour this model, and can attract a different type of investment and utilise a different type of finance.
Community-owned clubs offer greater protection and transparency within their constitution, which appeals to partners, funders, and sponsors. Giving people the chance to own a club can increase their connection with it, so people share the responsibility of sustaining ‘their’ club unlocking more volunteers and participation. If supporters know that the money they spend will be reinvested in the club, they are more likely to spend or donate more.
That isn’t to say there aren’t challenges to be overcome. For starters, a club can only be big as the community willing to support it and although the ownership is shared amongst the fan base not everyone can be involved in every decision. Powers will need to be delegated to the club board and employees, as well as other individuals or groups who are tasked with certain roles.
Cashflow in any small business is king. Having the ability to fall back on wealthy individuals to plug short-term gaps such as games being called off might not be possible or desirable and the club will need to adopt a different strategy to many of their competitors when it comes to managing money.
- If you would like to hear about more of this area of work email the FSA’s Andy Walsh: email@example.com
Where’s my nearest club?
You can find your nearest community-owned club on the map below, while the full list links to each club’s website and Twitter feed.
To find out more about community ownership, get in touch.
- 1874 Northwich – Townfield Ground, Barnton – @1874Northwich
- 1876 Bangor – Treborth, Bangor University – @Bangor1876
- AFC Liverpool – Rossett Park, Crosby – @AFCLiverpool
- AFC Rushden and Diamonds – Hayden Road, Rushden- @AFCRD
- AFC Wimbledon – Plough Lane – @afcwimbledon
- Atherton Town – Butler Park – @AthertonTownFC
- Bamber Bridge – Sir Tom Finney Stadium, Bamber Bridge – @BamberBridgeFC
- Banbury United – Spencer Stadium, Banbury – @BanburyUnitedFC
- Basingstoke Town – Winklebury Football Complex, Basingstoke – @Basingstoke_FC
- Bath City – Twerton Park – @BathCity_FC
- Bury AFC – Stainton Park, Radcliffe – @OfficialBuryAFC
- Camden and Islington United – Market Road, Camden – @CandIUnited
- Chester – The 1885 Arena, Chester – @ChesterFC
- City of Liverpool FC – Syncreon Arena, Ellesmere Port – @CityofLpoolFC
- Clapton – The Stray Dog, Walthamstow- @Clapton CFC
- Congleton Town – Richborough Estates Stadium, Congleton – @CongletonFC
- Darlington – Blackwell Meadows, Darlington – @Official_Darlo
- Dorchester Town – The Avenue Stadium, Dorchester – @DorchTownFC
- Dunstable Town – Creasey Park, Dunstable – @DunstableTownFC
- Enfield Town – Queen Elizabeth Stadium, Donkey Lane, Enfield – @ETFCOfficial
- Exeter City – St James Park, Exeter – @OfficialECFC
- FC United of Manchester – Broadhurst Park, Moston – @FCUnitedMcr
- Fisher FC – St Paul’s Sports Ground, Rotherhithe – @FisherFC
- Grays Athletic – Parkside, Aveley – @GraysAthleticFC
- Hendon – Silver Jubilee Park, Kingsbury – @HendonFC
- Hinckley AFC – Welfare Park, Ibstock – @hinckley_afc
- Hull United – Steve Prescot Sports Centre, Hull – @HullUnitedAFC
- Hyde United – Ewen Fields, Hyde – @hydeunited
- Kempston Rovers – Hillgrounds Stadium, Kempston – @Kempston_Rovers
- Lewes – The Dripping Pan, Mountfield Road, Lewes – @LewesFC
- Litherland REMYCA – Litherland Sports Park – @RemycaUtd
- Merthyr Town – Met Coaches Stadium, Penydarren Park – @MerthyrTownFC
- Montpelier Villa – Culver Road, Lancing – @MontpelierVilla
- Newark Town – YMCA Activity Village, Newark – @NewarkTownFC
- Newport County – Rodney Parade, Newport – @NewportCounty
- Newport (IOW) – Beatrice Avenue, East Cowes – @Newport_IW_FC
- Northwich Victoria – Wincham Park Stadium – @NorthwichVicsFC
- Peacehaven & Telscombe – The Sports Park, Peacehaven – @PT_FC
- Pilkington St Helens – Ruskin Drive Sports Village, St Helens – @Pilkingtonfc
- Prescot Cables – Valerie Park, Prescot – @PrescotCablesFC
- Runcorn Linnets – Millbank Linnets Stadium, Runcorn – @RuncornLinnets
- Saffron Walden Town – The Meadow, Caton’s Lane, Saffron Walden – @SWTFootballClub
- Scarborough Athletic – Flamingo Land Stadium, Scarborough – @safc
- Tonbridge Angels – Longmead Stadium, Tonbridge – @tonbridgeangels
- Ton Pentre – Ynys Park, Ton Pentre – @TonPentreFC
- Wythenshawe Amateurs – Hollyhedge Park, Sharston – @wythenshaweafc